Apple releases iPhone, iPod touch 2.0.1 Software UpdatesApple on Monday evening released iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update, the first maintenance and security update for iPhone 3Gs and first-generation iPhones running iPhone Software 2.0. iPod touch 2.0.1 has also been released.
To download and install the 249.2MB update, connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your Mac or PC and select it in iTunes. Then hit the "Check for Update" button. iTunes will initiate a grueling backup of your existing iPhone's software before installing the the update.
In a scant set of release notes, Apple said iPhone Software 2.0.1 and its iPod equivalent deliver "bug fixes." Readers are encouraged to post their experiences and findings while using the new software in the forums thread for this article.
Apple does not always specify the changes it makes in minor software updates. As such, the company leaves users guessing and trying to decipher those changes on their own. Some user-discovered changes in iPhone/iPod 2.0.1 include:
-You can now drag an app icon across multiple pages in one motion, rather than having to drag it, drop it, pick it up again and drag it over to next page, and repeat.
-Contacts are now more responsive.
-After installing 2.0.1, each successive backup is much faster.
-Apple may have changed the calibration of the iPhone's reception "bars" while connected to a 3G network to reflect a stronger signal than before.
-Keypad loads quicker.
-Screen rotation in Safari appears to be smoother.
-Some apps may ask to be updated after the firmware upgrade.
On Topic: iPhone
- Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung Pay
- Apple touts iPhone 6 as world's most popular camera in showcase of extraordinary user photos
- Sources: Apple's 2015 'iPhone 6s' models to gain Force Touch but no dual-camera system
- Firehouse Subs rolls out support for Apple Pay to over 800 locations nationwide
- Apple's iPhone commands record high 89% of smartphone profits while Android plummets to record low