Apple releases iTunes 8.1, Front Row Update 2.1.7As anticipated, Apple on Wednesday evening delivered iTunes 8.1 with performance enhancements, support for CD imports to iTunes Plus, and new Genius features. Separately, the company also updated its Front Row media application.
iTunes 8.1 (65.4 MB) "is now faster and more responsive," Apple says. "You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing."
In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides several other improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
- Includes many accessibility improvements.
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.
iTunes 8.1 also includes a couple of security enhancements.
Front Row Update 2.1.7
Meanwhile, Front Row Update 2.1.7 (13.3 MB) has also been released, promising to deliver improved compatibility with iTunes 8.1.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple Music team working on fixes, improvements through end of 2015, says iTunes VP
- Judge denies Apple a retrial in Smartflash suit, but upholds decision to toss $533M damages against Apple
- The Weeknd, The Chemical Brothers, James Bay, more added to Apple Music Festival lineup
- New home for Apple Music exec Ian Rogers is French luxury giant LVMH
- Latest Apple Music ads debut during MTV VMAs, feature The Weeknd & playlists