Apple releases iTunes 8.1, Front Row Update 2.1.7As anticipated, Apple on Wednesday evening delivered iTunes 8.1 with performance enhancements, support for CD imports to iTunes Plus, and new Genius features. Separately, the company also updated its Front Row media application.
iTunes 8.1 (65.4 MB) "is now faster and more responsive," Apple says. "You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing."
In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides several other improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
- Includes many accessibility improvements.
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.
iTunes 8.1 also includes a couple of security enhancements.
Front Row Update 2.1.7
Meanwhile, Front Row Update 2.1.7 (13.3 MB) has also been released, promising to deliver improved compatibility with iTunes 8.1.
On Topic: iTunes
- Jury orders Apple to pay $533M for infringing gaming patents
- Apple, AOL ending iTunes login partnership, users must migrate to Apple ID by March 31
- Grammy-nominated DJ Zane Lowe leaving flagship BBC Radio show, joining Apple
- Beats Music integration only part of the story as Apple wants to 'be the music business'
- How to move your Mac's iTunes Library onto an external drive