Apple releases iTunes 8.1, Front Row Update 2.1.7As anticipated, Apple on Wednesday evening delivered iTunes 8.1 with performance enhancements, support for CD imports to iTunes Plus, and new Genius features. Separately, the company also updated its Front Row media application.
iTunes 8.1 (65.4 MB) "is now faster and more responsive," Apple says. "You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing."
In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides several other improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
- Includes many accessibility improvements.
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.
iTunes 8.1 also includes a couple of security enhancements.
Front Row Update 2.1.7
Meanwhile, Front Row Update 2.1.7 (13.3 MB) has also been released, promising to deliver improved compatibility with iTunes 8.1.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple Music, iTunes Movies and iBooks debut in China
- Apple sends out iOS, email reminders urging users to renew Apple Music
- Apple Music minisite gets 'Guided Tours' page to explain basic tasks
- iTunes Match uploads raised to promised 100K song limit, accounts suggest
- Latest Apple Music spot ropes in star power to tout curated playlists