Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 06:00 pm PT (09:00 pm ET)
Apple releases iTunes 8.1, Front Row Update 2.1.7As anticipated, Apple on Wednesday evening delivered iTunes 8.1 with performance enhancements, support for CD imports to iTunes Plus, and new Genius features. Separately, the company also updated its Front Row media application.
iTunes 8.1 (65.4 MB) "is now faster and more responsive," Apple says. "You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing."
In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides several other improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
- Includes many accessibility improvements.
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.
iTunes 8.1 also includes a couple of security enhancements.
Front Row Update 2.1.7
Meanwhile, Front Row Update 2.1.7 (13.3 MB) has also been released, promising to deliver improved compatibility with iTunes 8.1.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple fills out iTunes Festival lineup, deadmau5 to kick off event
- Apple expands Volume Purchase Program to 16 new countries in education, business push
- Apple adds 21 acts to iTunes Festival card including Lenny Kravitz, The Script and more
- Apple remembers Robin Williams with iTunes tribute page
- Apple adds Family Sharing support information to iOS, Mac App Store listings