Apple puts iTunes on Facebook with free downloadsApple has taken iTunes to the Facebook platform, adding its brand as a "friendable" member of the social networking site and creating a Facebook application that hands out special offers to connected users.
Facebook users can become "fans" of iTunes, which installs the new "free on iTunes" app for them and provides a link to the iTunes Indie Spotlight Sampler, a free mixtape of 20 tracks.
"Fan of the iTunes page on Facebook?" the apps asks. "Be sure to check back here frequently for free music, TV shows, movies, and more from the iTunes Store, exclusively for our Facebook fans."
Apple has maintained a Facebook fan page for some time, which posts links to new albums, music related apps, and links to free iTunes U content. The Indie Spotlight Sampler was first posted last month, and the download track offer is good through the end of September. iTunes currently lists 1.8 million Facebook fans.
Apple's social networking strategy of promoting offers and downloads on Facebook complements new features in iTunes 9 which allow users to post items to their Facebook page or add them to their Twitter feed.
On Topic: iTunes
- Spotify royalties surpass Apple's iTunes in Europe by 13%, report says
- 'Disney Movies Anywhere' gets Android app, ushers in cross-platform movie purchasing
- Beyonce rumored to release second iTunes exclusive 'visual album' on Nov. 14
- Musician Trent Reznor working on secret music delivery project at Apple
- Killer Deals: $150 off iMac Retina 5K, $350 off Mac Pro, $40 off iPad Air 2, $30 off iPad mini 3, up to $268 off HP Printers