Wednesday, September 09, 2009, 11:40 am PT (02:40 pm ET)
Apple puts iTunes on Facebook with free downloadsApple has taken iTunes to the Facebook platform, adding its brand as a "friendable" member of the social networking site and creating a Facebook application that hands out special offers to connected users.
Facebook users can become "fans" of iTunes, which installs the new "free on iTunes" app for them and provides a link to the iTunes Indie Spotlight Sampler, a free mixtape of 20 tracks.
"Fan of the iTunes page on Facebook?" the apps asks. "Be sure to check back here frequently for free music, TV shows, movies, and more from the iTunes Store, exclusively for our Facebook fans."
Apple has maintained a Facebook fan page for some time, which posts links to new albums, music related apps, and links to free iTunes U content. The Indie Spotlight Sampler was first posted last month, and the download track offer is good through the end of September. iTunes currently lists 1.8 million Facebook fans.
Apple's social networking strategy of promoting offers and downloads on Facebook complements new features in iTunes 9 which allow users to post items to their Facebook page or add them to their Twitter feed.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple enables iBookstore gifting in time for holidays
- Apple announces 'Best of 2013' iTunes list, 'Duolingo' and 'Disney Animated' take top app honors
- Beyonce's iTunes exclusive becomes Apple's fastest selling album ever
- Beyonce drops surprise 'visual album' on iTunes, debuts 'Grown Woman' music video
- Apple hires terrestrial radio exec to helm iTunes Radio ad sales group