Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 08:05 am PT (11:05 am ET)
Potential component suppliers for Apple's fourth-gen iPhone namedWith Apple's new iPhone expected to launch in a matter of months, a new report alleges Foxconn will again assemble the device, while a new panel supplier will be added into the mix.
Citing the Chinese launguage Economic Daily News, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Tuesday that Chimei Innolux will provide panels for the next-generation iPhone. That supplier will be in addition to existing partners TPK Touch Solution and Wintek, who supply parts for the current iPhone 3GS.
The report noted that Foxconn began receiving components for the new iPhone in April. It did not say when they might be assembled for a final product.
Foxconn will allegedly handle 100 percent of the assembly responsibilities for the new iPhone, as it did with the iPhone 3GS. TPK will handle 45 percent of the touch panels, Wintek 40 percent, and newcomer Chimei Innolux 15 percent. The latter was reportedly selected because of its affiliation with Foxconn.
The report also said that Largan Precision will handle 80 percent of the camera modules for the new hardware, while Genius Electronic will cover the other 20 percent. In addition, TXC will up its share of the quartz components in Apple's handsets from 15 percent to 40 percent.
Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. The conference is scheduled to kick off on June 7, and runs through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West. One rumor has alleged that Apple could make its handset available for sale as soon as it is announced, rather than waiting a few weeks as has been done in years past.
Such a strategy could provide Apple with a surprise for users at this year's WWDC, as a leaked prototype of Apple's next-generation iPhone has already revealed that the handset will likely have a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting. Reports have also suggested that the prototype design, which features a changed exterior with a flat back and aluminum sides, will be very similar — if not identical — to the shipping product to be sold this summer.
Last year, the iPhone 3GS was launched on June 19. The device was formally unveiled over a week earlier at WWDC 2009, which ran from June 8 through June 12. A year prior, the iPhone 3G went on sale July 11.
On Topic: iPhone
- Rumor: Design of Apple's new big-screen iPhone will be cross between iPhone 5c & 7th-gen iPod nano
- Apple to stick with Samsung for A8 chip, final manufacturing prep underway - report
- AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'
- Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
- Russia's Megafon deal with Apple, Inc. guarantees sales of 750k iPhones over 3 years