Monday, September 13, 2010, 08:50 pm PT (11:50 pm ET)
Apple Store update suggests 27-inch Cinema Display coming soonThe online Apple Store now displays details of the new 27-inch Cinema Display on its Configure your Mac page, a sign that the display may be close to shipping.
The configuration pages for the Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook and Macbook Air have been updated with information about the upcoming 27-inch Cinema Display but currently only allow purchase of the older 24-inch and 30-inch models.
Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display sports a 2560 x 1440 resolution with an ambient light sensor and the same in-plane switching technology that the iMac, iPhone 4 and iPad use. Despite being announced in July alongside the new 12-core Mac Pro and updated iMac line, the display wasn't scheduled to ship until sometime in September.
Sources told AppleInsider in March that the then unannounced display had been "lingering in Apple's labs for quite some time" while the Mac maker waited for LCD panel prices to drop.
The company's main product page for the $999 27-inch LED Cinema Display currently displays a "Coming September" notice. Clicking the "Buy Now" button redirects shoppers to the 24-inch Cinema Display purchase page.
The 24-inch and 30-inch Cinema Display models will be available only as supplies last, making the 27-inch model the only current-generation display offered by Apple.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Deals: limited time offers knock 3 MacBooks down to $999 or less
- Mac sales slump in Q1 as PC market faces 8th straight quarterly decline
- Intel unveils 10-gigabit Ethernet Thunderbolt Networking coming to Macs, PCs
- OWC launches Mac Pro CPU and memory upgrade service
- Apple's premium-priced Macs 'defy the laws of economics,' but iPhone does not, Needham says