Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 02:30 pm PT (05:30 pm ET)
Apple's soon-to-arrive 27-in Cinema Display gets software updatesApple on Wednesday released a handful of software updates to ensure system compatibility with the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display, set for an imminent release to those who first ordered last week.
LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.0 requires Mac OS X 10.6.4 and the 75.79MB download is available direct from Apple. It adds an option to the System Preferences pane that allows users to adjust ambient light sensor settings with the new display.
The new ambient light sensor included with the LED Cinema Display automatically adjusts the screen's brightness based on external lighting conditions. Using this, the display only uses as much energy as necessary to provide an optimum viewing experience.
The software update also includes a modification to the Sound preferences pane which will allow users to select the new 27-inch display as the audio output. Left and right audio balance is also allowed, giving users a greater level of control over the 49-watt speaker system.
Also released Wednesday was the Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update for Windows. It is available in 32-bit (4.43MB) and 64-bit (7.27MB) varieties.
Customers have been able to purchase the 27-inch LED Cinema Display since last Friday, with an estimated shipping time of one to two weeks. The display packs a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 178-degree viewing angle for $999.
The new display, announced in July, has replaced the previous-generation 24-inch and 30-inch models.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Rumor: Apple to phase out last non-Retina MacBooks with CD/DVD drive this year
- Deals: Lowest prices ever on 3 custom configured Haswell MacBook Pro Retinas
- Apple releases Mac Pro firmware update to address Power Nap fan control, USB device recognition issues
- Apple's holiday Mac shipments outpaced PC growth by largest margin in 5 years
- Deals: Valentine's Day delivers year's lowest prices on MacBook Airs