Thursday, October 07, 2010, 10:55 pm PT (01:55 am ET)
Apple firmware update fixes MacBook charging issueA new firmware fix for older MacBook and MacBook Pro models solves a charging issue that takes place when using the latest MagSafe power adapters.
MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 for select 2007-2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro models was released Thursday. The update comes in at just 880KB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.4.
Users had reported that newer MagSafe adapters failed to charge older MacBook and Macbook Pro computers.
Apple redesigned the MagSafe adapter for the most recent early 2010 MacBook Pro model released in April. The new adapter routes the power cable back instead of jutting out perpendicular to the machine.
In 2007, Apple halted shipments of its MagSafe power adapters because of quality design issues.
On Topic: MacBook
- MacBook Air refresh delivers most affordable mass-market notebooks in Apple history
- Apple planning to launch all-new 12" MacBook, higher-res sixth-gen iPad in 2014
- What's left for the Macintosh in a Post-PC iOS World?
- Best Buy recalls 5,100 third-party MacBook batteries for fire risk
- Gazelle sees 171% spike in MacBook trade-ins ahead of WWDC