Apple firmware update fixes MacBook charging issueA new firmware fix for older MacBook and MacBook Pro models solves a charging issue that takes place when using the latest MagSafe power adapters.
MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 for select 2007-2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro models was released Thursday. The update comes in at just 880KB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.4.
Users had reported that newer MagSafe adapters failed to charge older MacBook and Macbook Pro computers.
Apple redesigned the MagSafe adapter for the most recent early 2010 MacBook Pro model released in April. The new adapter routes the power cable back instead of jutting out perpendicular to the machine.
In 2007, Apple halted shipments of its MagSafe power adapters because of quality design issues.
On Topic: MacBook
- Patriot unveils USB-C flash drive for Apple's MacBook
- Apple Watch preorders cause spike in Apple phone, chat support wait times
- Embracing a wireless future: What it's like to use Apple's 12" MacBook as your main computer
- Deals: $144 off 12" MacBooks with AppleCare; 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for $525; 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409; more...
- Apple details fix for 12" MacBook Setup Assistant issues