Apple firmware update fixes MacBook charging issueA new firmware fix for older MacBook and MacBook Pro models solves a charging issue that takes place when using the latest MagSafe power adapters.
MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 for select 2007-2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro models was released Thursday. The update comes in at just 880KB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.4.
Users had reported that newer MagSafe adapters failed to charge older MacBook and Macbook Pro computers.
Apple redesigned the MagSafe adapter for the most recent early 2010 MacBook Pro model released in April. The new adapter routes the power cable back instead of jutting out perpendicular to the machine.
In 2007, Apple halted shipments of its MagSafe power adapters because of quality design issues.
On Topic: MacBook
- Why Apple is banking on USB-C for its all-new 12-inch MacBook and beyond
- Ten One Design's Inklet is first 3rd-party app to support Apple's Force Touch trackpad
- Intel Core M lets new MacBook go light and fanless, but with sacrifices
- Apple's all-new MacBook draws taunts from Asus, Dell, Lenovo
- Apple seen shipping just 450K 12" MacBooks in 1H of 2015, as radical design may temper demand