Monday, April 04, 2011, 12:45 pm PT (03:45 pm ET)
Robbery suspect killed in shootout at San Diego Apple StoreA shootout at a San Diego, Calif., Apple Store occurred Monday morning before the store opened for business, during which one suspect was killed and two others were arrested.
The incident occurred at the Chula Vista Apple Store, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune. Three suspects — two men and a woman — allegedly broke into the store at Otay Ranch Town Center on Birch Road before 7 a.m.
Police said the shootout occurred between the three suspects and a security guard who was at the shopping center. Shots were fired when at least one of the men allegedly took out a handgun and threatened the guard. The security guard was not harmed, according to NBC San Diego.
The would-be robbers got into a small car in an attempt to get away, but one man was mortally wounded. Their vehicle crashed into a light pole, and the surviving man and woman fled the scene, but the suspects were found by police around 8 a.m. hiding on a patio in a nearby residential neighborhood.
Police found two guns — one on the suspect who died, and another on the man who was taken into custody. The manager of the Apple store was working inside when the incident occurred, but was not harmed. Nearby schools were also put on lockdown after the incident occurred.
On Topic: General
- Apple granted comprehensive 'iTime' smartwatch patent with in-strap circuitry, arm gesture support
- New Apple ad shows off sticker-clad MacBook Airs, calls it 'the notebook people love'
- Apple to again wipe CloudKit database for iOS 8 and Yosemite betas [u]
- Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994
- Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says