Thursday, August 23, 2012, 08:20 am PT (11:20 am ET)
Apple releases Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 with iMessage, Migration Assistant fixesApple on Thursday released OS X 10.8.1, the first security and maintenance update for its Mountain Lion operating system, featuring fixes for iMessage, Migration Assistant, and audio on Thunderbolt displays.
OS X 10.8.1 is now available for download through the Mac App Store. Users can also obtain a manual installer of the update direct from Apple.
Apple's release notes state that the update will improve the stability and compatibility of a user's Mac. The list of fixes provided by Apple are:
- Resolve an issue that may cause Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit
- Improve compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail
- Address an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display
- Resolve an issue that could prevent iMessages from being sent
- Address an issue that could cause the system to become unresponsive when using Pinyin input
- Resolve an issue when connecting to SMB servers with long names
- Address a issue that may prevent Safari from launching when using a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file
- Improve 802.1X authentication with Active Directory credentials.
Only two developer previews of OS X 10.8.1 were made available prior to Thursday's official launch of the software. Mountain Lion became available on the Mac App Store less than a month ago, on July 25.
Just this week, Apple began inviting developers to begin testing OS X 10.8.2, signaling that the release of OS X 10.8.1 was imminent. No details are yet available on what fixes OS X 10.8.2 may provide when it eventually debuts to the public.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple, Inc's double digit U.S. Mac growth contradicts IDC & Gartner reports of a Mac sales slump
- Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues
- Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store
- Apple issues new Safari betas for OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion with minor changes
- Apple to release first public beta of OS X Yosemite on Thursday