Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 11:05 am PT (02:05 pm ET)
16GB iPhone 4S drops to $99, 8GB iPhone 4 free with contractWith the launch of the iPhone 5, the 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S will drop to $99 with a two-year contract, while an 8-gigabyte iPhone 4 will be available for free.
The new pricing was announced by Apple on Wednesday at its iPhone 5 keynote. No mention was made of the iPhone 3GS, suggesting it will no longer be available, though some have expressed belief that it will continue to be available contract-free in developing countries.
The iPhone 5 pricing matches last year's iPhone 4S pricing structure: $199 with a contract for the 16-gigabyte model, $299 for 32 gigabytes, and $399 for 64 gigabytes.
On Topic: iPhone
- Photographer takes iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to Iceland, details major enhancements over iPhone 5s
- Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus gain radio certification in China, but release date still uncertain
- Apple opens Touch ID to third-party applications with iOS 8
- Despite record output, Foxconn unable to keep up with massive iPhone 6 demand
- Review roundup: Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8