Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 01:08 pm PT (04:08 pm ET)
Apple issues iOS 6 golden master to developersThe final build of iOS 6, and presumably the same version that will be publicly released next Wednesday, is now available to members of Apple's development community.
iOS 6 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, the new iPad, iPad 2, and fourth-generation iPod touch. It will also come preinstalled on the iPhone 5 and the new iPod touch.
Developers now have a week to test the final software before it becomes available to the public on Sept. 19, one week from today. The GM seed is labeled build 10A403.
Also released on Wednesday for developers was the Xcode 4.5 golden master. Presumably developers will be able to use the updated software to revise their applications for the taller 4-inch display on the new iPhone 5.
As a result, Apple on Wednesday also invited developers to begin submitting their applications to the App Store for iOS 6.
"To prepare your apps for submission, download the GM seeds for iOS 6 and Xcode 4.5 and test your existing apps for compatibility," Apple said, also noting that the the App Store Review Guidelines have been updated as well.
On Topic: iPhone
- Review roundup: Fire Phone is good for Amazon, but doesn't stack up to competitors
- Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market
- Flir One case turns Apple's iPhone into a high-end thermal imaging camera
- Apple's alliance with IBM counters BYOD 'nightmare' for companies adopting iPhone
- WSJ: Apple preparing 70M to 80M combined iPhone 6 units for biggest launch ever