Apple releases iTunes 10.7 with support for iOS 6Ahead of a major overhaul to iTunes coming in late October, Apple on Wednesday released iTunes 10.7 with support for the soon-to-launch iOS 6.
iTunes 10.7 is now available to download from Apple's official website. It adds support for existing devices to be upgraded to iOS 6, and also supports the newly announced iPhone 5 and updated iPod touch and iPod nano.
Apple announced earlier Wednesday that iOS 6 will become publicly available next Wednesday, Sept. 19. It will be available for the iPHone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2, and fourth-generation iPod touch.
iOS 6 will become available for existing devices two days before the new iPhone 5 is set to go on sale in the U.S. and a number of other markets.
Wednesday's 10.7 update of iTunes is just a stopgap before a more expansive overhaul is set to arrive later this year. The company also announced at Wednesday's iPhone 5 keynote that it will debut a "dramatically simpler" iTunes with a redesigned user interface at the end of October.
The new iTunes will feature a grid-driven interface that Apple says will make it easier for users to navigate. It will also have tighter integration with iCloud, including cloud-based, cross-device syncing of playback information on movies.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple Music tops customer satisfaction in new JD Power study
- Apple reveals algorithm behind Apple Music mixes, execs discuss past and future of service
- Drake's 'Views' exceeds 1B streams on Apple Music
- Drake debuts new short film as Apple Music exclusive
- Apple to debut 'Spoken Editions' iTunes category, turn written news into audio podcasts