Monday, September 24, 2012, 10:54 am PT (01:54 pm ET)
Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 5.1 with Shared Photo Stream supportApple on Monday updated its Apple TV set-top box to software version 5.1, adding support for Shared Photo Streams, and the ability to send audio content from the Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices including the AirPort Express.
Users can now download Apple TV Software Update 5.1 by going into the Settings section of the device, choosing General, and then selecting Update Software. The full list of changes in the update, as detailed by Apple, are:
- Shared Photo Streams Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.
- AirPlay Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.
- iTunes account switching Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.
- Trailers Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.
- Screen savers New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.
- Main menu Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.
- Subtitles SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.
- Network configuration Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles.
- Stability and performance Includes general performance and stability improvements.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Watch ABC, Bloomberg, others added to Apple TV channel lineup
- PrimeSense tech seen powering gesture controls for future Apple television products
- LG's Smart TV watches you: spyware ads report your behavior in creepy detail
- Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen
- Slowdown in Apple TV shipments suggests full-size television delayed to 2015