Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 06:18 pm PT (09:18 pm ET)
Apple's Thanksgiving ads focus on Photo Stream, iPhone 5 noise cancellationA pair of commercials featuring the iPhone 5 was posted to Apple's YouTube channel on Tuesday, with one focusing on the upcoming U.S. Thanksgiving holiday while another showcased the handset's noise-canceling rear microphone.
The first ad, aptly titled "Turkey" for the traditional dish served on Thanksgiving, is done in the style of recent Apple TV spots for the iPhone 5, with an upbeat narrator explaining Photo Stream. The spot begins with a user browsing pictures of a Thanksgiving feast on his iPhone 5, and moves quickly into the photo-sharing feature built into iOS 6.
Apple's second commercial, titled "Orchestra," is more hardware-centric and looks at the iPhone 5's noise canceling capabilities. The ad is unique in that it gives a rare, if not extremely brief, description of how an Apple feature functions, as the narrator points out the handset's rear-facing mic that samples sound from a user's surroundings and "helps turn them down." While not an in-depth look at the technology, the spotlight on the noise-canceling method is something not often seen by Apple, which traditionally keeps such minutiae far from consumers in the company's trademark "it just works" sales approach.
Both ads can be viewed by following the YouTube links above, or on Apple's iPhone videos page.
On Topic: General
- Apple CEO Tim Cook says privacy talks with Chinese government were 'very open'
- Former Apple exec Ron Johnson wants to make online shopping personal with new startup 'Enjoy'
- Apple says its 'ambitious' sapphire manufacturing process is 'not ready for production'
- GT Advanced to exit sapphire production business, Apple to recover $439M prepayment over 4 years
- Christian Bale confirmed to play Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic, to start shooting soon