Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 04:38 am PT (07:38 am ET)
Apple ad touts iOS 'Do Not Disturb' as same feature is affected by New Year's bugThe same day Apple began running a new ad highlighting the "Do Not Disturb" functionality in iOS 6, the same feature was plagued by a New Year's bug.
The ad features star tennis players Venus and Serena Williams playing ping pong against a narrator, voiced by actor Jeff Daniels. Daniels says that his "really cool dream" won't be disturbed because of the feature in iOS 6, which prevents notifications from buzzing on the iPhone during set hours of the day.
The ad began airing on TV as a New Year's Day bug related to Do Not Disturb began affecting iOS device users. Starting on Tuesday, users discovered that Do Not Disturb did not automatically turn off at the pre-set hour.
Apple has had New Year's bugs in iOS in the past, including one issue discovered at the start of 2011 that prevented non-repeating alarms from ringing. Apple quickly addressed that issue with a software fix.
On Topic: iPhone
- Rumor: Design of Apple's new big-screen iPhone will be cross between iPhone 5c & 7th-gen iPod nano
- Apple to stick with Samsung for A8 chip, final manufacturing prep underway - report
- AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'
- Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
- Russia's Megafon deal with Apple, Inc. guarantees sales of 750k iPhones over 3 years