iPad mini front panel falsely claimed to be part for Apple's 'iPad 5' [updated]A new image emerged Friday claiming to show what looks to be a full-size fifth-generation iPad's front panel, again showing design cues taken from the iPad mini, but it was ultimately discovered that the image is actually an iPad mini part.
Update: The image shows an iPad mini front panel, and is not a component for Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPad, according to Nowhereelse.fr.
The image showed up on Chinese site Apple.pro and shows the rear side of what appears to be the front casing for an as yet unreleased iPad 5. The panel bears all of the holes and markings that typify Apple's tablets including a hole for the Home button and FaceTime camera and the connector for the touchscreen component.
The panel bears the same thin bezel seen with Apple's iPad mini, which observers expect will serve as the design guidepost for the next full-size iPad. Images and video of potential iPad 5 cases have borne the same design cues, with a thinner overall body .
The next full-size iPad is expected to retain the screen size of its predecessors, if only to application development for the device easy. Recent rumors suggest that Apple may add a centered rear microphone to the device to help in audio recording.
The rumored new iPad's thinner bezels are said to make the device 25 percent lighter and 15 percent thinner. The new iPad, new iPad mini, and the next generation of iPhones and iPods are all expected to arrive some time in the fall.
On Topic: iPad
- Review: Duet Display makes Apple's iPad even more useful for Mac users
- Apple, Beats top other brands among college students in laptops, phones, tablets and headphones
- Apple posts "the story behind the Song" featuring old and new music recording technology
- ShopKeep offering merchants free Apple Pay-compatible hardware in bid to compete with Square
- Apple debuts cellular LTE-equipped iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 in China