Monday, August 12, 2013, 04:44 pm PT (07:44 pm ET)
Bloomberg: Apple to debut iPad mini with Retina display, thinner iPad in 2013Coming amidst a volley of iPhone and iPad rumors, Bloomberg is now reporting that Apple will launch a Retina iPad mini and a slimmed down full-size iPad by the end of 2013.
The publication cites people familiar with Apple's plans as saying the company will not only debut a redesigned 9.7-inch iPad in the fourth quarter, but is also looking to release a hotly anticipated iPad mini with Retina display before the year is out. It is unclear if the models will launch simultaneously.
One Bloomberg source said the next-generation iPad will take its design cues from the current iPad mini, including a thinner side bezel and rounded corners. There have been a number of supposed parts leaks, as well as analyst predictions, regarding Apple's next iPad, most of which point to a redesigned exterior and enhanced innards.
Last week, a photo of what is claimed to be an "iPad 5" digitizer was published by Australian repair company Macfixit. The alleged front panel was also seen in a video earlier this month, which had the part attached to a rear shell resembling the iPad mini's flat design.
As for the next-gen iPad mini, Monday's report was light on specifics, only mentioning that the tablet would include a high-resolution Retina display. Bloomberg may be hearing the same rumblings as The Wall Street Journal, which said much the same in late June. The WSJ, however, added that Apple may be using LCD panels sourced from Samsung in order to meet expectedly high demand for the 7.9-inch tablet.
On Topic: iPad
- Rounding up the newest protective cases & keyboards for your iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3
- New iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 incorporate NFC chip for Apple Pay in apps, but not in-store tap-to-pay transactions
- Multi-carrier Apple SIM 'dedicated' to AT&T's network upon activation, not carried by Sprint Stores
- First look: Pixelmator for iPad takes powerful image editing on-the-go
- Apple's iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 now available for pickup at select US Apple Stores