U.S. Cellular to launch iPad Air on Nov. 8, hints at regional carrier availabilityAmerica's fifth-largest wireless carrier, U.S. Cellular, announced Friday that it will be selling Apple's new iPad Air from Nov. 8, possibly signaling a sell-by date for smaller regional carriers across the country.
In its announcement, U.S. Cellular said the iPad Air will be offered in a range of plans allowing the tablet to connect to its 4G LTE network. While the product has yet to show up on the company's official webpage, it can be expected that the latest iPad will net the same data tiers available to other tablets like Samsung's Galaxy Note series.
It was previously reported that U.S. Cellular would be granted access to Apple's newest iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on Nov. 8, making the day a big one for the company.
The announcement comes on the heels of news that smaller regional providers C Spire and Bluegrass Cellular would also carry the iPad Air, though a definite timeline was not announced. At the time, telecoms quoted a launch date "in the coming weeks." While mere speculation, the larger U.S. Cellular's sell-by date could offer some perspective as to Apple's rollout schedule for carriers beyond the "big-four," Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.
U.S. Cellular first announced that it would begin carrying Apple products in May. At the time, the company was the sixth-largest wireless carrier in the country.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple posts "the story behind the Song" featuring old and new music recording technology
- ShopKeep offering merchants free Apple Pay-compatible hardware in bid to compete with Square
- Apple debuts cellular LTE-equipped iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 in China
- Gazelle's $20 cash bonus on working iPad trade-ins expires tonight
- Leading Android fansite recommends Apple Inc iPad Air 2 as best tablet in holiday gift guide