U.S. Cellular to launch iPad Air on Nov. 8, hints at regional carrier availabilityAmerica's fifth-largest wireless carrier, U.S. Cellular, announced Friday that it will be selling Apple's new iPad Air from Nov. 8, possibly signaling a sell-by date for smaller regional carriers across the country.
In its announcement, U.S. Cellular said the iPad Air will be offered in a range of plans allowing the tablet to connect to its 4G LTE network. While the product has yet to show up on the company's official webpage, it can be expected that the latest iPad will net the same data tiers available to other tablets like Samsung's Galaxy Note series.
It was previously reported that U.S. Cellular would be granted access to Apple's newest iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c on Nov. 8, making the day a big one for the company.
The announcement comes on the heels of news that smaller regional providers C Spire and Bluegrass Cellular would also carry the iPad Air, though a definite timeline was not announced. At the time, telecoms quoted a launch date "in the coming weeks." While mere speculation, the larger U.S. Cellular's sell-by date could offer some perspective as to Apple's rollout schedule for carriers beyond the "big-four," Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.
U.S. Cellular first announced that it would begin carrying Apple products in May. At the time, the company was the sixth-largest wireless carrier in the country.
On Topic: iPad
- Google's Chromebooks continue to make inroads in education, Gartner says
- Adobe discontinues Photoshop Touch, offers video glimpse of future replacement tech [u]
- Refurbished iPad Air 2 goes on sale at Apple's online store
- Rumor: Apple's 12.9" 'iPad Pro' to feature silver nanowire touch panel, debut in 2016
- Apple demonstrates how iPad can change your life in 'Change Everything' mini-site