Despite whirlwind of rumors, new Apple TV hardware may not be imminentOn the heels of numerous rumors and speculation that Apple will soon release a next-generation Apple TV set-top box, one well-connected journalist has voiced his doubts on the claims.
Logic board from Apple's third-generation Apple TV. | Source: iFixit
In trademark fashion, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop poured cold water on the latest Apple TV rumors with a terse "Nope" to a reportedly imminent hardware refresh that has major news outlets abuzz.
Dalrymple's response was targeted at an Los Angeles Times report that suggested Apple's recent announcement of a $25 iTunes Gift Card promotion is a signal that a new Apple TV is in the offing.
Apple on Friday put the rumor mill in full tilt after the company revealed it would be giving away $25 iTunes Gift Cards with every new Apple TV purchase. Many speculated the move to be part of a strategy to clear channel inventory ahead of a new hardware launch.
With the current-generation Apple TV having launched almost two years ago, industry watchers believe the set-top box is ready for a refresh or, perhaps, a complete overhaul.
For example, a report from the Financial Times on Friday cited sources familiar with Apple's plans as saying the company plans to release a "significantly redesigned" Apple TV before the Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The rumored hardware is said to offer enhanced support for video games and could have access to the iOS App Store.
Also on Friday, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced during Apple's shareholder meeting that revenue from Apple TV sales and services reached over $1 billion in 2013. The numbers represent an 80-percent jump from 2012.
On Topic: Apple TV
- NFL Game Pass to offer on-demand games on Apple TV, other Apple devices
- Talks with major networks for Apple streaming TV service making rapid progress - report
- Showtime's new cord-cutter channel launches on Apple TV with 30-day free trial
- Apple Music offers a peek into the future of Apple Inc, and its stark contrast to Google and Microsoft
- Rumor: Apple could be plotting new multitouch Bluetooth remote, OS X El Capitan beta reveals