Rumor: Third beta of Apple's iOS 8 will be provided to developers July 8Developers may have to wait a few more weeks before the third beta of iOS 8 is supplied, as a new rumor claims that the software is currently scheduled for release on Tuesday, July 8.
The alleged release date of iOS 8 beta 3 was reported on Thursday by BGR, which cited "trusted sources." The publication's sources at U.S. carriers have provided accurate information on iOS beta releases in the past.
If true, the release date would be later than expected, as Apple traditionally issues new beta builds to developers on a two week schedule. The second beta of iOS 8 was release on June 17, just over two weeks after the launch of beta 1.
Last year, iOS 7 Beta 3 was released on Monday, July 8. But Apple's 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference, where iOS 7 was officially announced, was also held a week later than this year, and Apple maintained the two-week release schedule.
The second beta of iOS 8 released earlier this month made Apple's Podcasts application a native, built-in app for iPhone users. It also marked the iPad debut of the new QuickType keyboard, which suggests words as users type.
Scheduled to launch this fall, iOS 8 features support for third-party keyboards and Siri-based controls of smart home appliances. It will also include a new Health application that will collect users' health and fitness data, while the Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 5s will become accessible for third-party developers to tap into.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple suggests five new professional emoji be added to Unicode Standard
- Siri's voice to benefit from machine learning improvements in Apple's iOS 10
- Retailers, payments association side with Australian banks over Apple Pay negotiations
- Apple issues 7th developer & 6th public betas of iOS 10 as final launch approaches
- Australian banks denied interim approval to negotiate over Apple Pay