1,800 mAh battery for Apple's 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new photosBatteries said to be destined for Apple's next-generation. 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" appeared on the internet Thursday, seemingly lending credence to recent whispers that the company would bump the handset's battery capacity to 1,800 mAh from the iPhone 5s's 1,500 mAh unit.
The pictured parts bear a capacity rating of 1,810 mAh and appear to be manufactured by Desay Battery, a supplier previously rumored to have been certified by Apple for the iPhone 6. French blog nowhereelse.fr was first to publish the snapshots, which appear to come from sources in China.
Not clear from the photos is the batteries' physical dimensions, which is said to have caused a great deal of pain for Apple in the run-up to manufacturing. The company is thought to have had trouble when attempting to slim the parts down by some 30 percent, a reduction reportedly required for the design of Apple's next-generation handsets.
At least one report from earlier this week suggested that Apple may have solved that dilemma, though the company said to have come through with the solution is Taiwan-based Simplo Technology.
If legitimate, the 1,810 mAh battery in the iPhone 6 would give the handset one of the smallest power reserves in its class. Motorola's own 4.7-inch Moto X, in comparison, packs a 2,200 mAh battery.
A corresponding part for the anticipated 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone variant was not pictured, though that device is expected to sport a 2,500 mAh unit. Both models are likely to bring upgraded internals, possibly including additional
On Topic: iPhone
- Sight unseen, consumers are more excited about Apple's 'iPhone 7' than they were for iPhone 6s
- Kohl's becomes first Apple Pay retailer to link rewards, store cards in one transaction
- Judge overturns Brazilian WhatsApp shutdown in continuing fight over encrypted data
- Apple loses exclusive rights to 'iPhone' trademark for non-smartphone products in China
- Apple Pay picks up over 20 more US banks including Texas' Moody National