Thursday, August 07, 2014, 11:55 am PT (02:55 pm ET)
Beats by Dr. Dre gets its own section on Apple's online storeApple on Thursday updated its online storefront to give newly-official subsidiary Beats by Dr. Dre its own section under the store's "Accessories" category, days after shuttering Beats's own internet shop.
The new section offers Beats's entire hardware product line, including headphones and portable speakers. Also up for grabs are accessories like protective sleeves and the "Pill Dude" personified speaker stands for the Beats Pill.
While Apple already sold most Beats product even before acquiring the company, they were previously lumped into the generic "Headphones" and "Speakers" sections.
Apple rarely re-arranges its online store, though more shakeups are expected under new retail chief Angela Ahrendts. The last major alteration came in January, when the Apple TV gained its own shopping category alongside the Mac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod.
Thursday's change comes some six days after Apple officially closed the $3 billion acquisition. At that time, Beats closed its online store and began referring potential customers to Apple's outlet.
On Topic: General
- Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear at WSJDLive conference in October
- Apple chose to handle iOS 8 rollout with own content delivery network
- Apple invents bone conducting EarPods for better iPhone noise cancellation
- Tim Cook touts new Apple privacy policies in open letter to customers
- Tim Cook explains consolidation at Apple in new interview