Apple's iOS 8 beta 5 pulls business info from Maps into Phone app's Recents listA new feature discovered in Apple's latest iOS 8 beta release automatically populates the Phone app's Recents list with information about points of interest when dialing out from Maps, applying correct name, addresses and even Yelp data to recent-dialed numbers.
From left: Spotlight search results, Maps infobox and Phone's Recents list.
Rolled out as part of the latest iOS 8 beta 5, and subsequently spotted by AppleInsider reader Mohammed, the contact data transfer feature appears to be limited to calls originating from the Maps app. Since Maps search results are available through iOS 8's Spotlight search, however, the function is accessible from anywhere in iOS.
What to expect:
'iOS 8' rumors
- Likely announced at WWDC
- Expected fall 2014 launch
- Focus on health for iPhone
- Splitscreen apps for iPad
- Shazam integration with Siri
The functionality is especially helpful for users who rely on their iPhone to discover nearby dining and entertainment, or travelers unfamiliar with the surrounding neighborhood.
For example, as with Rattle 'N' Hum, a user can find a place to eat in Maps, call to make reservations, then visit the Recents section to get directions when it's time to go. Further, the restaurant's information is now stored on-site, ready for redialing or saving to Contacts.
As noted above, the feature appears to be limited to Maps, as testing with Siri and Safari yielded negative results. Interestingly, while conducting a Spotlight search in Safari returned Maps results, extensibility stops short of pairing phone numbers — URL-based or discovered via iOS data detectors — with the mapping app's POI database.
Apple will launch iOS 8 this fall alongside the next-generation "iPhone 6," which is expected to come in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch flavors. According to the most recent rumors, Apple's upcoming handset lineup will include a 2.0GHz A8 processor, 802.11ac Wi-Fi and possibly NFC functionality.
On Topic: iOS
- Apple details workaround for iOS Messages bug, permanent fix coming soon
- Google reveals Google Photos with free, unlimited photo and video storage [u]
- Study: Device users more responsive to Android app notifications than iOS
- First look: Pixelmator for iPhone is a feature-packed mobile image editor
- Apple Pay rewards program coming in June as Android Pay looms, report says