Taylor Swift 'happily' bringing blockbuster '1989' album to Apple MusicPop megastar Taylor Swift will allow Apple Music to stream her latest album — called 1989 — after the company altered its stance on payments to rights holders during the free trial period, a major coup for the company's new streaming service.
"After the events of this week, I've decided to put 1989 on Apple Music...and happily so," Swift wrote on Twitter. That will make Apple Music the only streaming service to offer the album, which has sold more than 8 million copies worldwide and is certified 5-times platinum in the U.S.
Swift initially refused to make 1989 available on Apple Music in protest of Apple's decision to withhold royalty payments during the service's three-month free trial period. Following an open letter from Swift — and rejections from several major independent outlets — Apple reversed course, and will pay lower per-stream royalties during the tryout.
Swift's decision is the second major licensing victory for Apple since its decision to change tack. On Tuesday, the company reached agreements with Merlin and Beggars Group, clearing the way for acts like Adele, FKA Twigs, and M.I.A. to debut alongside Apple Music.
Apple Music is set to launch next Tuesday, with subscriptions priced at $9.99 per month — or $14.99 per month for families — after the trial period ends. It will also bring the debut of a free, twenty-four-seven, worldwide streaming radio channel known as Beats 1 helmed by former BBC DJ Zane Lowe that will feature celebrity interviews and shows hosted by Drake, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, and others.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple to debut 'Spoken Editions' iTunes category, turn written news into audio podcasts
- Music industry heads towards recovery on streaming services like Spotify & Apple Music
- James Corden joins Eddy Cue, Jimmy Iovine and Bozoma Saint John in new Apple Music ad
- Apple shuts down rumors of impending Tidal takeover
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.1 with all-new Apple Music design, iOS 10 support, Siri commands in Sierra