Faster USB 3 charging & file transfers are exclusive to Apple's 12.9" iPad ProApple's new USB 3 Lightning accessories offer faster file transfers and battery recharging abilities, but the only Apple device with a USB 3 Lightning port supporting those featuers remains the jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
Apple has launched a new Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter that features a standard USB port with USB 3 speeds. The company also offers a new Lightning to USB-C cable that is compatible with all Lightning-enabled Apple products for syncing and charging.
However, in the description for the camera adapter, Apple notes that USB 3 data speeds are only capable with the iPad Pro. Similarly, the Lightning to USB-C cable will not offer quick charging benefits for any other devices.
That means the new 9.7-inch iPad Pro lacks one key feature of the larger 12.9-inch model: It doesn't have a USB 3 capable Lightning port.
Still, the new Lightning to USB-C cable gives users the ability to plug their iPhone, iPad or otherwise directly into Apple's 12-inch MacBook, which features a single USB-C port for both syncing and charging.
On Topic: iPad
- Winners of the WaterField Designs MacBook bag giveaway announced [Carl J. and Tyler D.]
- Adonit ships new Pixel stylus to compete with Apple Pencil
- IDC: $200-350 Chromebooks shipped 37% more U.S. units in Q1 vs Apple's $1,200 MacBooks
- Deals: iMac 5K for $1,499, 38mm "Apple Watch" for $399 plus free stand, iPad Air for $270
- Apple, Maine Department of Education working to swap 'toy' iPads for MacBooks