Apple says MobileMe transition complete, lost messages recovered [u]
Most importantly, the Cupertino-based company said it has successfully restored mail service to the 1 percent of users who had been locked out of their email accounts for nearly two weeks following a mail server crash.
Although Apple had originally feared that it had lost some subscribers' emails as a result of that crash, an update on the matter posted to the official MobileMe status page indicates that those emails have now been recovered and should start appearing subscribers' inboxes.
Any subscriber affected by the issue who continues to experience problems can contact a Mobile Me mail specialist via a newly established dedicated chat line on Apple's website.
"By completing this restoration of Mail services, we hope we have put the vast majority of MobileMe Mail problems behind us and can now focus on improving other aspects of this new ambitious service," the company said.
In its Mobile Me status update Tuesday evening, Apple also acknowledged a syncing bug that caused contact and calendar data to disappear from iPhones and iPod touches on Monday.
"When we fixed the bug in the late afternoon, the problem resolved itself for most users: their data simply reappeared on their iPhone or iPod Touch," the company said. "If you are one of those affected users and your data has not automatically reappeared, follow the steps at this link to restore your data."
Apple's "David G." promises that the next update on Mobile Me's status will be posted to the company's website "later this week."
Update: A number of AppleInsider forum members are reporting that Apple's most recent update on the status of MobileMe is misleading and that they continue to experience mail outages, loss of emails, and other problems.