Supposed watchOS 4.1 GM release notes tip music streaming, GymKit integration
Apple's watchOS 4.1 golden master release notes supposedly leaked out on Wednesday, with the update list confirming Apple Music and iCloud Music Library streaming will soon arrive on Apple Watch Series 3.
The notes, posted to Twitter by developer Guilherme Rambo, include a list of new features, improvements and bug fixes slated to debut when watchOS 4.1 sees release.
A hotly anticipated feature, Apple Music and iCloud Music Library Music streaming over LTE was initially promised to arrive this fall. During Apple's iPhone event in last month, COO Jeff Williams said the streaming capability would not be available when Apple Watch Series 3 launched, but would instead see implementation as part of a software update sometime in October.
Developer beta versions of watchOS 4.1, released in late September, incorporated Apple Music and iCloud Music Library streaming in Watch's Music app. It appears the feature will be included in the public version of Apple's forthcoming firmware update.
Alongside music streaming, the supposedly leaked release notes mention integration with GymKit-compatible fitness equipment like treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers and indoor bikes. Introduced at Apple's event last month, GymKit allows Apple Watch users to connect to, and exchange data with, supported workout machines for more accurate distance, pace and energy burn metrics.
As for bug fixes, watchOS 4.1 solves an issue that prevented some first-generation Apple Watch models from charging, as well as an Apple Watch Series 1 issue that display heart rate notifications when the feature was disabled. Other resolutions relate to Stand reminders and haptic feedback problems associated with silent alarms.
New features, improvements, and bug fixes include:
- Stream music on Apple Watch Series 3 with Apple Music or iCloud Music Library
- Listen to live radio on Beats 1, custom stations, and expert-curated stations with the new Radio app on Apple Watch Series 3
- Use Siri to find, discover, and play songs, playlists, or albums
- Sync fitness data with GymKit-enabled treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers, and indoor bikes for more accurate distance, pace, and energy burn metrics
- Ability to disconnect from a WiFi network in Control Center for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)
- Fixes an issue for Apple Watch Series 1 and later where Heart Rate notifications were delivered when the feature was not enabled
- Fixes an issue where some users did not receive Stand Reminders
- Resolves an issue where the current stand hour indicator did not appear for some users
- Resolves an issue that caused haptics to not be delivered for silent alarms
- Addresses an issue that prevented Apple Watch (1st generation) from charging for some users
- Resolves an issue where the Sunrise / Sunset complication would sometimes not appear
- Restores Mandarin as the default dictation language for China
If Apple has indeed issued an internal watchOS 4.1 GM for testing, the point update could see release as soon as next week.