Monday, April 03, 2006, 01:00 pm PT (04:00 pm ET)
Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.6 UpdateApple on Monday released Mac OS X 10.4.6, an update to its Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system that is recommended for all users.
The release (Intel (163MB), PowerPC (65MB), Server (92MB)) includes general operating system fixes, as well as improvements while using Bluetooth wireless devices, searching iWork '06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight, and creating Automator workflows for iPhoto 6.
It also offers fixes for saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory, synchronizing contacts and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones, and mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes.
Other enhancements in Mac OS X 10.4.6 target file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing, login and authentication, connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec, and network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files
The 45MB update is available from Apple's Web site or through the Mac OS X Software update mechanism. Additional details of the release are also published in a knowledge base article on the company's site.
On Topic: General
- Apple expanding AppleCare+ warranties internationally, now available in Mexico & Sweden
- Apple patents smart navigation routing with crowd-sourced stop light pattern recognition
- Microsoft uses Apple's Siri to prop up Windows' new 'Cortana' virtual assistant
- Apple drops cross-appeal of final judgment in Samsung lawsuit, no longer seeks permanent injunction
- Apple expected to buy personalized talk radio app Swell for $30 million