Apple releases 2nd potential fix for flickering 27-inch iMacsApple on Monday released a second firmware update that aims to address screen flickering that has plagued some users of the late 2009 model 27-inch iMac.
The update, entitled 27-inch iMac Display Firmware Update 1.0, is a 294KB download available direct from Apple. The accompanying description states the update will "address issues that may cause intermittent display flickering.
The update requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later, and applies to all 27-inch models. It comes more than a month after Apple issued the 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 in late December.
Monday's update confirms reports from last week, when various posters on the Apple Discussions forums said they were told by AppleCare representatives that a new update to address flickering issues was forthcoming. A week later, it arrived.
Earlier Monday, a new rumor suggested Apple has halted production of new big-screen iMacs as the company looks to address screen flickering issues that have persisted since the new desktop launched last October. Last month, shipments of the 27-inch iMac were pushed back three weeks. Current orders also face a three-week delay.
Publicly, Apple has insisted that the delays are not due to hardware issues. Rather, they say the company has had trouble keeping up with demand for the new system, which was the best-selling desktop in the U.S. in the month of October. In December, the company formally apologized for shipment delays, stating that the hardware has been a "huge hit," and they have struggled to fill orders.
On Topic: iMac
- Rumor: Apple to launch 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display in October
- New iMac displays said to improve color saturation via LED phosphor, sales could reach 1M this quarter
- New iMac with 4K display hinted at once again in latest El Capitan beta
- New iMac models with upgraded CPUs & displays to drive 1M unit sales in Q3, analyst says
- This week on AppleInsider: iPad Pro features, Apple Music deals, Apple Watch hits retail & more