Thursday, July 15, 2010, 05:25 am PT (08:25 am ET)
Apple rumored to release iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone todayA new rumor has stated that Apple will release an iPhone software update in the form of iOS 4.0.1 on Thursday, a day before the company has scheduled a press conference to talk about the iPhone 4.
Citing a "reliable source," Greek-language iPhone website iPhone Hellas (via Google Translate) reported on Thursday that iPhone OS 4.0.1 will be released publicly today. The report speculated that, despite the different reported version number, it could actually be the same iOS 4.1 beta seeded to developers on Wednesday.
"The final version of 4.1 will be released much later, probably in September, after several beta versions," they wrote.
Back in 2008, the same website correctly forecast the release of iPhone OS 2.2 10 days in advance.
If the latest rumor is true, the timing is interesting, considering the fact that Apple has scheduled a press conference on its Cupertino, Calif., campus for Friday. Though the company has not revealed the purpose of the event, it is expected to deal with antenna issues experienced by a number of iPhone 4 owners.
The iOS 4.1 beta seeded to developers on Wednesday included, as was expected, a fix for how the software reports bars of signal strength. In the new version, bars more accurately portray signal, and the bars at the low end of the scale are taller, making them easier to read.
On Topic: iPhone
- First iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus teardowns reveal high-capacity batteries, reworked innards
- Citibank sending its customers an introduction to iPhone 6, Apple Pay
- Australian Apple Stores met with long lines as worldwide iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sales begin, Angela Ahrendts on hand [u]
- Photographer takes iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to Iceland, details major enhancements over iPhone 5s
- Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus gain radio certification in China, but release date still uncertain