Monday, September 13, 2010, 05:40 am PT (08:40 am ET)
Apple to launch Wi-Fi iPad models in China on Sept. 17Apple announced on Monday that it will launch the Wi-Fi iPad in China this week on Friday, Sept. 17, with the multitouch device going on sale at the company's retail stores and authorized resellers at 10 a.m. local time.
iPad Wi-Fi models in China will be available for a suggested retail price of CNY3988 for 16GB, CNY4788 for 32GB and CNY5588 for 64GB. The press release made no mention of the 3G-capable model, which sells for $130 more than the Wi-Fi models in the U.S.
Apple said it plans to continue to release the iPad in "many more countries later this year." Availability and pricing for these additional countries will be announced at a later date.
In July, it was reported that Apple was in talks with Founder, a Chinese PC maker, to distribute the iPad in the nation of over one billion. Monday's announcement did not indicate that the PC maker would play a part in sales of the iPad.
In July, Apple opened a new megastore in Shanghai, as the company has pushed to have a greater presence in the country. Apple intends to open 25 new stores in mainland China as it focuses on building its brand name in the country.
On Topic: iPad
- Next-gen iPad Air with Touch ID, new gold color option may also debut at Apple's Sept. 9 event
- Apple's rumored iPhone 6 mobile payment system seen as 'most legitimate potential threat' to PayPal
- Apple will re-bid on nixed $1 billion LA Unified School District iPad contract
- Cook says tablet sales slump is 'speed bump,' looks toward future growth
- Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut