Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 09:20 am PT (12:20 pm ET)
Users report freezing issues with FaceTime on Apple's iPad 2A few kinks apparently still need to be ironed out with the newly released iPad 2, as some users have reported freezing issues with the FaceTime video chat feature, requiring a restart of the device.
A handful of users on Apple's support forums have posted to a growing thread where they have described a problem where the image displayed by the forward-facing camera on the iPad 2 crashes in the FaceTime application. The same issue is also detailed in two other, smaller threads (1, 2).
"When I opened up FaceTime the first time, the camera was working fine, but now whenever I open it up, it just shows a still image from when I left," user "CRK The Man" wrote. "How can I fix it?"
Most users seem to have found success in repairing FaceTime by simply restarting their iPad 2. Others have gone as far as completing a full software restore of the iPad 2 to address the problem.
One user, "dels7080," claimed that the manager of a Verizon store in New York City revealed that the FaceTime glitch has occurred to "a lot" of demo units available for customers on the sales floor to try. They too said the problem is solved by restarting the iPad 2.
"It happens quite frequently," user "leov36" wrote of the issue. "Restarting the ipad fixes the problem, BUT, it happens again with in the next two to three times i go to use it."
FaceTime is only available on iOS devices with a forward-facing camera, including the newly released iPad 2. To take advantage of the forward and rear cameras on the second-generation iPad, Apple also added devoted applications for picture and movie taking, as well as Photo Booth for taking and editing photos.
On Topic: iPad
- New iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 incorporate NFC chip for Apple Pay in apps, but not in-store tap-to-pay transactions
- Multi-carrier Apple SIM 'dedicated' to AT&T's network upon activation, not carried by Sprint Stores
- First look: Pixelmator for iPad takes powerful image editing on-the-go
- Apple's iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 now available for pickup at select US Apple Stores
- iPad Air 2 teardown reveals lower capacity battery, internal layout tweaks