Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 03:13 pm PT (06:13 pm ET)
Apple drops refurbished 16GB Wi-FI iPad 2 price to $349After announcing its new Retina Display-toting iPad, Apple has dropped the price of the previous generation iPad 2 to as low as $349 in an apparent effort to turn over existing stock.
As Apple's website continues to be bombarded with an almost overwhelming amount of people clamoring to pre-order the latest iPad, the "Refurbished" section of the company's online storefront quietly revealed a significant price drop for the previous iteration of the tablet with prices starting at $349 for an entry-level 16GB Wi-Fi model.
The decrease in price, which took effect Wednesday morning following the third-generation iPad unveiling, reflects an extra 20 percent savings on the already discounted unit.
Before the special event, the online Apple Store's least expensive iPad 2 was a refurbished model which sold for $420, however that changed when the company announced it would continue to sell factory-new 16GB Wi-Fi and 3G-capable models of the second generation tablet at a heavily discounted price of $399. Interestingly, the refurbished 16GB Wi-Fi iPad 2 is $50 less than a refurbished 32GB first generation model.
The Apple Certified Refurbished iPads are tested and come with a one-year warranty, new battery and outer shell.
While availability fluctuates for refurbished products, there is currently a wide selection to choose from as all iPad 2 flavors are in stock save for units capable of connecting with Verizon's 3G network.
On Topic: iPad
- Next-gen iPad Air with Touch ID, new gold color option may also debut at Apple's Sept. 9 event
- Apple's rumored iPhone 6 mobile payment system seen as 'most legitimate potential threat' to PayPal
- Apple will re-bid on nixed $1 billion LA Unified School District iPad contract
- Cook says tablet sales slump is 'speed bump,' looks toward future growth
- Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut