Apple to gain ownership of iphone5.com domainThe World Intellectual Property Organization has sided with Apple in a dispute over the iphone5.com domain name, and ownership is expected to be transferred to Apple.
The WIPO website recently updated its status on the case as "Terminated," and the domain owner is expected to be required to relinquish ownership of iphone5.com to Apple according to The Next Web. The site is currently owned by Corporation Service Company, a protection agency that owns the domain name in the interim.
Currently, attempts to visit the iphone5.com website are non-responsive. Previously, the website featured a small, relatively inactive forum.
The WIPO's decision to side with Apple came quickly, as Apple applied for ownership of the domain only a few weeks ago. Apple's pursuit of the iphone5.com domain was seen by some as evidence that Apple could name its next-generation iPhone the "iPhone 5," a name that is commonly used in public to refer to the rumored device.
However, Apple's interest in the domain could also simply be an effort to avoid confusion among consumers who might think the domain is owned or affiliated with the company. Late last year, Apple also turned to WIPO to take control of iphone4s.com, and also take down a handful of other iPhone-related domains that featured hardcore pornography.
Last July, WIPO also granted Apple ownership of the domain name ipods.com. In that case, it was found that the original owner of the domain had "no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name," and that it was "being used in bad faith by the respondent."
On Topic: iPhone
- Google to discontinue YouTube support on older iOS devices, Apple TVs
- American broadcasters turn up the volume on misguided campaign to enable FM tuners in smartphones
- Manhattan district attorney grabs attention saying iPhone will become 'device of choice' for terrorists
- Roommates stab each other with beer bottles in iPhone vs. Android dispute
- Chrome for iOS adds Today widget, Halo comes to iPhone and iPad for first time