Friday, May 25, 2012, 06:23 pm PT (09:23 pm ET)
Apple pushes out iOS 5.1.1 update revision for GSM iPhone 4Apple on Friday released a second version of iOS 5.1.1 designed for the GSM iPhone 4, though it failed to comment on what changes had been made to the mobile operating system or why it only affects one specific iPhone model.
As noted in a tweet by iPhone hacker iH8sn0w, build number 9B208 is an iPhone 4 (GSM)-only version of iOS 5.1.1 that was quietly pushed out without explanation after reportedly being compiled on Thursday morning, reports The Next Web.
The original iOS 5.1.1 update was released on May 7 and brought various improvements including fixes for HDR photo and AirPlay video bugs.
iPhone 4 owners on GSM networks can download the over-the-air update via iPhone's Software Update found in the settings menu or by physically connecting the handset to iTunes.
Earlier today, the latest untethered Absinthe v2.0 jailbreak was made available, though it is unlikely that the iOS re-release is somehow related.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus met with orderly launch day lines in China
- Apple adds PetSmart, Office Depot, others to growing list of retailers who've pledged support for ApplePay
- Apple says iPhone 6 owners can start using ApplePay with release of iOS 8.1 on Monday, Oct. 20
- Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus off to best start in iPhone history
- iPhone 6 Plus accounts for one-quarter of new iPhone sales, expected to boost Apple's margins