Google promises Chrome support for MacBook Pro with Retina DisplayGoogle revealed on Wednesday that it is "committed to polishing" its Chrome browser to take advantage of Apple's new MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
Nico Weber, a Google Software Engineer and "Chief Apple Polisher," posted the promise to the company's official Chrome blog along with a screenshot of the "early results" of high-resolution support in Chrome.
"We have further to go over the next few weeks, but were off to the races to make Chrome as beautiful as it can be," he said.
In fact, Google has already begun testing the new polish the Canary developer version of Chrome. Anandtech's Anand Lal Shimpi said that text in Chrome Canary is "no longer ugly," compared to the "nasty result" from the current version of Chrome. According to Lal Shimpi, Chrome's results come because it uses Apple's text display API but renders to a Retina-unaware "offscreen canvas before scaling the text and displaying it on a web page."
Though Chrome Canary addresses the rendering issue, Lal Shimpi did note it still "renders text differently" from Apple's Safari.
Left: Chrome; Middle: Chrome Canary; Right: Safari | Source: Anandtech
Apple released the new MacBook Pro on Monday at the Worldwide Developers Conference. The 15-inch laptop's new Retina Display features a resolution of 2,880 by 1,800 pixels. Demand for the laptop is currently outstripping supply, as shipping estimates for it on Apple's Website are currently at three to four weeks.
Retina Display-optimized updates of Apple's own Mac software have begun steadily rolling out. For instance, Apple released new versions of Final Cut Pro X, Aperture, and iPhoto on Monday.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Record Low Prices: Apple's iMac 4K falls $200 to $1,299, iMac 5K to $1,599, 15" MacBook Pro to $1699 at B&H ahead of Black Friday
- Exclusive Deal: Free 32GB Apple TV with all 2015 MacBook Pros plus up to $230 in additional discounts per model with no tax in 48 states
- Free Apple SuperDrive and 50% off AppleCare with 13" MacBook Pros & 13" MacBook Airs (2015 models)
- 10 Days Only: Free AppleCare & Free Apple SuperDrive with 15" MacBook Pros (Late 2015)
- Apple activates Quality Program for Retina MacBook Pro screen coating issue