Apple Store now carries Thunderbolt to FireWire AdapterThe Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for newer Thunderbolt-equipped Macs is now available for $29 at Apple's online store.
The new adapter is estimated to ship in one to three business days. It allows users to connect their Thunderbolt-equipped Mac to a FireWire device with the small and compact cable.
The connector provides a FireWire 800 port that supplies up to 7 watts for bus-powered peripherals like hard drives and audio devices. It requires a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac running OS X 10.7.4 or later.
Apple first announced the Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June. It was introduced alongside the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter accessory.
The list of available Thunderbolt accessories continues to expand since the high-speed port debuted on Macs in mid 2011. The new cable standard utilizes two separate 10Gbps links one for displays and one for PCI-Express device traffic for throughput of up to 10Gbps between Thunderbolt-capable devices and a compatible Mac.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter connects legacy accessories to new MacBook Pro USB-C
- First look: Apple's new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
- See which 3rd-party apps will support Apple's new MacBook Pro Touch Bar
- Apple debuts affordable 13" MacBook Pro model, axes 11" MacBook Air
- Apple brings about the end of the physical Function key with MacBook Pro Touch Bar