Apple Store now carries Thunderbolt to FireWire AdapterThe Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for newer Thunderbolt-equipped Macs is now available for $29 at Apple's online store.
The new adapter is estimated to ship in one to three business days. It allows users to connect their Thunderbolt-equipped Mac to a FireWire device with the small and compact cable.
The connector provides a FireWire 800 port that supplies up to 7 watts for bus-powered peripherals like hard drives and audio devices. It requires a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac running OS X 10.7.4 or later.
Apple first announced the Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June. It was introduced alongside the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter accessory.
The list of available Thunderbolt accessories continues to expand since the high-speed port debuted on Macs in mid 2011. The new cable standard utilizes two separate 10Gbps links one for displays and one for PCI-Express device traffic for throughput of up to 10Gbps between Thunderbolt-capable devices and a compatible Mac.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- 2011 MacBook Pro graphics class-action suit expands, accuses Apple of concealing defects
- Deals: Free AppleCare & $120 off iMac 5K; $50 off iPad Air 2; MacBook Air coupons; $150-$700 off MacBook Pros
- Deals: Free Apple Magic Mouse and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle; iMacs & Mac Pros too
- It's Back: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Deepest Discount Ever: $700 off Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 750M)