Thursday, August 23, 2012, 01:16 pm
Facebook launches faster iOS application for iPhone, iPadFacebook on Thursday launched a long-awaited update to its iOS application that promises major speed improvements over its slow predecessor.
The updated universal Facebook application is now available (iTunes link) for download in the iOS App Store. The features in version 5.0, as detailed by the social networking site, are all about speed:
- We've rebuilt the app so its faster and easier to use.
- Scrolling through news feed is faster than ever
- New banner lets you tap to quickly see more stories no need to refresh
- Photos open fast and close with one downward swipe
- Instant access to your notifications
Facebook version 5.0 is a 7.3-megabyte download available for free from the iOS App STore. It is compatible with iPhones, iPads and iPod touches running iOS 4.3 or later.
Rumors of the application first surfaced in June, when it was said the updated software would launch in July. But July came and went without an update.
The updated application is believed to feature speed improvements through using Objective-C, the programming language used to build native applications for iOS. The previous Facebook application, which users complained was incredibly slow, was built primarily on HTML5, a Web-based programming language.
Last month it was said that former Apple employees were hired by Facebook to revamp its application for the iPhone and iPad. The company opted to create a major code overhaul for its iOS software rather than just a simple update.
According to Bloomberg, touch-screen UI developer Greg Novick; iPhone software gurus Tim Omernick and Chris Tremblay; and creator of Apple's first-party Stocks app Scott Goodson are all a part of the Facebook development team.
On Topic: iPhone
- Rumor: Apple to vastly expand color options with this year's 'iPhone 5S' & low-cost iPhone
- Apple granted patents on push-to-talk, double-sided touch panel
- Samsung Galaxy S4 & Google Now accused of violating Apple patents for Siri
- AT&T to bring FaceTime over cellular to all customers by end of year
- Apple debuts new iPhone discounts, subsidies to gain ground in India