Rumor: Unknown iPad model with A6 series chip appears in developer's access logsAn iPad carrying the never-before-seen "iPad3,6" designation was reportedly discovered by an app developer in his app analytics log, with the purported device running what looks to be an ARMv7 processor, the same architecture used in Apple's A6 SoC.
As noted by MacRumors, the unique "iPad3,6" designation points to a new version of the current 9.7-inch iPad, which carries the "iPad3,1," "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3" naming scheme for existing iterations of the device, and not the much-rumored "iPad mini."
While mere speculation, the unknown device could be a slightly tweaked third-generation iPad with Lightning connector support, possibly meant to bring parity to the full-sized tablet's charging system and Apple's recently-released iPhone 5 and upcoming iPod products.
In August, a separate report found a pair of iPads in a developer's access logs bearing the "iPad2,5" and "iPad2,6," designations thought to be the identifiers of Apple's rumored 7.85-inch "iPad mini."
While not entirely out of the realm of possibility, the iPad mini is not expected to use an A6-based chip and is thought to instead leverage a variant of Apple's A5 series found in the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. The small form factor tablet is widely believed to carry a non-Retina display, meaning it won't require the same processing power as the third-generation iPad, which itself uses a modified A5 chip.
Apple is expected to debut the 7.85-inch iPad sometime this October, however there has been little information regarding an updated third-generation iPad.
On Topic: General
- Nancy Pelosi expresses disappointment over Tim Cook's GOP fundraiser
- Apple uses platform dominance to 'lock out' competition, says Elizabeth Warren
- Hillary Clinton's tech platform backs Apple positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Sioeye iPhone-connected sports camera streams live via LTE, includes 5GB free with T-Mobile
- Apple issues fourth beta of iOS 9.3.3 as developers await iOS 10 beta 2