We are currently experiencing server issues, please excuse any mess. More details are availble here.
Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" displayPushing the trend of big-screen smartphones even further, Samsung on Thursday announced a pair of new handsets dubbed "Galaxy Mega," with the larger version sporting a jumbo-sized 6.3-inch display.
Samsung's latest jumbo-sized handsets are even bigger than the Galaxy Note II, which features a 5.55-inch display. Samsung claims the new Galaxy Mega is "ultra-thin and portable enough to put in a pocket or hold in one hand" even with its 6.3- and 5.8-inch screen size options.
The device is pitched as the "best of both worlds," positioned between a tablet and a smartphone. It's powered by a 1.7-gigahertz dual-core processor for the larger model, while the 5.8-inch version has a 1.4-gigahertz CPU. Both will run Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.
The smaller screen model will come with 8 gigabytes of internal memory, expandable up to 64 gigabytes with a microSD card. The 6.3-inch model has options of either 8 or 16 gigabytes, and can also be expanded up to 64 gigabytes with a separate card inserted. Both feature 1.5 gigabytes of RAM.
"We are aware of a great potential in the bigger screen for extensive viewing multimedia, web browsing, and more," said JK Shin, CEO and head of IT & mobile business at Samsung Electronics. "We are excited to provide another choice to meet our consumers varying lifestyles, all while maintaining the high-quality features of the award-winning Galaxy series."
Other features of the Galaxy Mega highlighted by Samsung are:
- 'Group Play:' Enables easy content sharing for up to 8 devices on the same Wi-Fi network.
- 'Samsung WatchON:' Transforms into an IR remote controller for a richer TV experience. Connect the device to your home entertainment system, and it will provide program recommendations, schedules, and even remotely control your TV.
- Samsung Link:' Easily streams photos, videos, notes, or music to your television, tablet or computer.
- 'S Translator:' Say or text what you need translated into the GALAXY Mega, and it will provide instant translation, using text or voice translation on applications including email, and ChatON.
- 'ChatON:' Share whats on your screen with friends to stay more connected.
Samsung is planning a global roll-out of the Galaxy Mega, beginning in Europe and Russia and May. Availability will vary by market, as Samsung has promised the device will be rolled out "gradually."
On Topic: iPhone
- BlackBerry to exit hardware business, stop making smartphones, as financial skid continues
- Sao Paulo joins list of cities with Apple Maps transit directions
- Supply chain report again notes dramatic increase in Apple iPhone 7 orders
- Apple's iPhone 7 camera tops competition despite smaller sensor in DxOMark review
- Occipital brings room-scale VR to iPhone with $500 dev kit headset