Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 09:57 am PT (12:57 pm ET)
Facebook app for iOS gets Chat Heads, stickers, new News FeedFacebook on Tuesday rolled out an update for its flagship iOS app that doesn't quite bring it in line with the capabilities of Facebook Home on Android, but does port over some new elements.
Chat Heads displayed in Facebook's messaging feature.
Facebook version 6.0 brings the Chat Heads contact feature to Apple's platform, though in a more limited capacity than they appear on Facebook Home. The pop-up contact bubbles appear only in the Facebook app, and they are unable to integrate with a user's SMS contacts.
Recently Facebook was rumored to be working on bringing the "immersive" experience of Facebook Home to Apple's iOS and Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platforms. Those rumors, though, were quickly shot down by knowledgeable sources, who said Facebook has no plans to port the Home experience to either platform.
The update also brings the ability to send "stickers" giant, emoji-like pictures to other users. The stickers come in packs of related pictures and are currently free. The ability to send stickers is currently limited to the iPhone, but any device can receive them.
The update also packs a redesign of the News Feed, making it cleaner and more easily accessible. Version 6.0 of Facebook for iOS will be rolling out for free for iPad and iPhone users later on Tuesday.
On Topic: App Store
- How to start an iOS 8 Family Sharing account to share apps, music, movies & more
- Apple updates iWork for iOS suite with support for iOS 8, stability fixes
- Apple updates iMovie for iOS with new filters, speed controls, Photo app integration, more
- Apple issues iOS 8 compatibility updates for Beats Music, Find My Friends, others
- Rumor: Apple in late-stage talks to buy Path social platform