Facebook app for iOS gets Chat Heads, stickers, new News FeedFacebook on Tuesday rolled out an update for its flagship iOS app that doesn't quite bring it in line with the capabilities of Facebook Home on Android, but does port over some new elements.
Chat Heads displayed in Facebook's messaging feature.
Facebook version 6.0 brings the Chat Heads contact feature to Apple's platform, though in a more limited capacity than they appear on Facebook Home. The pop-up contact bubbles appear only in the Facebook app, and they are unable to integrate with a user's SMS contacts.
Recently Facebook was rumored to be working on bringing the "immersive" experience of Facebook Home to Apple's iOS and Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platforms. Those rumors, though, were quickly shot down by knowledgeable sources, who said Facebook has no plans to port the Home experience to either platform.
The update also brings the ability to send "stickers" giant, emoji-like pictures to other users. The stickers come in packs of related pictures and are currently free. The ability to send stickers is currently limited to the iPhone, but any device can receive them.
The update also packs a redesign of the News Feed, making it cleaner and more easily accessible. Version 6.0 of Facebook for iOS will be rolling out for free for iPad and iPhone users later on Tuesday.
On Topic: App Store
- Apple's iOS App Store now generating 4x revenues per app vs Android Google Play
- Pixelmator image editor gets powerful selection tools in iOS app update
- Pokemon Go update fixes login problems, sponsored game content coming soon
- European expansion of Pokemon Go commences with launch in Germany
- Pokemon GO is earning Apple's App Store 3x as much money as Nintendo