Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 06:58 pm PT (09:58 pm ET)
Twitter iOS app updated with user access to worldwide trending topicsTwitter on Wednesday updated its iOS and Android apps with a new option to view Trends from outside a user's home location, allowing users to peek into popular topics from around the world.
The feature is part of Twitter's Tailored Trends section, which launched last year as a customizable curated feed of tweets based on who a user follows and their location.
Located in the Discover tab, the location-specific trending view offers up popular hashtags from hundreds of locales around the world, as seen in the screenshot above.
In addition to the location-aware tending feed, Twitter for iOS now lets users send out invites to friends from within the app. Other enhancements include a change to retweet handling, with replies to retweeted tweets now carrying the tags of both the original author and retweeter.
Finally, Twitter has improved playback of videos from its short clip creation service Vine. Bug fixes and backend improvements are also included.
Twitter for iOS comes in at 21.8MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- iTunes Software and Services fastest growing Apple business segment this year
- Flir One case turns Apple's iPhone into a high-end thermal imaging camera
- European Commission chides Apple for not improving game in-app purchase policies
- First look: Using Passbook at an Apple Store to buy iTunes & App Store credit
- Google Analytics gets dedicated iOS app, Facebook adds celebrity-focused Mentions app