Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 06:58 pm PT (09:58 pm ET)
Twitter iOS app updated with user access to worldwide trending topicsTwitter on Wednesday updated its iOS and Android apps with a new option to view Trends from outside a user's home location, allowing users to peek into popular topics from around the world.
The feature is part of Twitter's Tailored Trends section, which launched last year as a customizable curated feed of tweets based on who a user follows and their location.
Located in the Discover tab, the location-specific trending view offers up popular hashtags from hundreds of locales around the world, as seen in the screenshot above.
In addition to the location-aware tending feed, Twitter for iOS now lets users send out invites to friends from within the app. Other enhancements include a change to retweet handling, with replies to retweeted tweets now carrying the tags of both the original author and retweeter.
Finally, Twitter has improved playback of videos from its short clip creation service Vine. Bug fixes and backend improvements are also included.
Twitter for iOS comes in at 21.8MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Pebble adds eBay, Evernote & Time Warner as latest smart watch app partners
- Amazon takes online sales management mobile with Amazon Seller iOS app
- Apple releases iOS 7-styled iTunes Festival app update, does not require iOS 7.1
- CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout
- Apple approaching March 31 deadline for FTC in-app purchase settlement compliance