ABC News on Apple TV proves more popular than desktop & mobile in first monthApple TV users have flocked to ABC News's recently-unveiled live video offerings, the network said on Wednesday, with Apple TV viewers consuming 50 percent more live ABC News programming than viewers on desktops and mobile devices combined.
Live programming accounted for some 20 percent of the channel's total views, making the live stream the channel's most-watched video content. Viewership peaked on July 17, as Apple TV users tuned in for live coverage of the Malaysia Airlines flight that was downed over Ukraine.
Apple TV users also spend more time with ABC News's content in total. Those using the set-top streamer racked up 65 percent more viewing time than those on desktop computers.
Viewers also appear to be turning to the Apple TV in lieu of traditional cable programming, as ABC News reported that daily usage peaks at 9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. That comes in the middle of the hours traditionally referred to as "prime time," which generally runs from 8 p.m. Eastern to 11 p.m. Eastern.
ABC News launched on Apple TV in late June, bringing live and on-demand content to users with a cable subscription. Thanks to the channel's success, existing local content from New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, Fresno, and Milwaukee is set to be augmented by affiliates in Albuquerque, Boston, and Honolulu.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Briefly: Apple TV gains 120 Sports channel, Twitter adds group messaging
- Amazon expands original content program with feature films as Apple TV adds more live sports
- Dish announces 'Sling TV' $20-per-month Internet TV service with ESPN, CNN, more
- Watch ABC Apple TV channel update brings full episode viewing for all users
- It's Back: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too