Latest Apple TV commercial puts focus on appsApple posted a fun new Apple TV commercial to the Web on Thursday showing off the tvOS App Store's deep selection of apps, games, over-the-top content streamers, interactive shopping services and more.
Continuing with its campaign theme "The Future of TV is Apps," Apple's latest spot highlights a number of popular tvOS titles, from the first-party Music app to subscription services HBO Now and Showtime.
Like past Apple TV spots, Thursday's ad is done up in an experimental style not seen in commercials dedicated to other Apple product lines. Apple is obviously playing to a different demographic, appealing to customers in the market for a family-oriented set-top box.
In today's Apple TV commercial, viewers see the small black box morph into physical embodiments of tvOS apps. Some of the more inspired transformations include the Iron Throne from HBO's hit show "Game of Thrones," and a pizza box for grubHub. Apple managed to squeeze in references to Netflix, Watch ESPN, Asphalt 8, Disney Infinity, Gilt, grubHub, Showtime, Crossy Road, HBO Now and Fox Now.
App support is a tentpole feature for the fourth-generation Apple TV, which debuted in October alongside an all-new tvOS operating system, Siri integration, a touchpad remote and other enhancements.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Inside tvOS 10: New Apple TV Remote app for iPhone replaces your Siri Remote
- Apple polls customers for feedback on streaming video & Apple TV
- NASA's tvOS app brings live HD video, photos and more to Apple TV
- Apple TV universal search integrates content from A&E, History, Food Network, more
- Apple removes Siri Remote requirement for gaming apps in latest tvOS beta