Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.7, Safari 3.2.3 & 4.0 beta update
Mac OS X 10.5.7
The Mac OS X 10.5.7 client software is available as a 442MB delta download for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and as a 729MB combo update for Macs running earlier versions of the Leopard operating system. A list of specific enhancements included in the release follows:
- Includes latest security fixes.
- Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras
- Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics
- Resolves an issue with Dvorak keyboard layout in Mac OS X 10.5.6
- Improves the reliability and accuracy of Unit Converter, Stocks, Weather and Movies Dashboard widgets
- Addresses a situation that may cause issues when logging into Gmail
- Improves reliability when syncing contacts with Yahoo!
- Expansion Slot Utility for Mac Pro now reports the correct PCIe slot configuration
- Improves network performance when connected to certain Ethernet switches that have Flow Control enabled
- Improves stability for network home directories hosted by Mac OS X Server v10.4
- Improves Finder search results for network volumes that may not support Spotlight searching, such as Mac OS X Server v10.4, Time Capsule, and third-party AFP servers
- Includes several improvements to Directory Service and Client Management, which are described in the About Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 Update article
- Improves overall reliability with CalDav
- Improves reliability when automatically syncing with MobileMe
- Addresses reliability and sync issues with Notes
- Addresses an issue that may cause the BCC field to populate incorrectly when redirecting a message from the Sent mailbox
- Improves consistency with Parental Controls and application restrictions
- Addresses an issue in which time limits may not work properly with full-screen games and Fast User Switching
- Resolves an issue that may cause certain third-party printers to print to the incorrect paper tray
- Non-admin user accounts can now be allowed to add and remove printers by enabling Parental Controls and selecting "Can administer printers"
- Includes other printing reliability and stability improvements
Mac OS X Server 10.5.7
Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 is available as a 452MB download for servers running 10.5.6 Server and a 951MB download for those running earlier versions of Leopard server. A specific list of enhancements is available here.
Safari 4.0 beta 1 (second update)
Readers will recall that Safari 4.0 beta 1 failed to function with betas of Mac OS X 10.5.7 while it was under development. Therefore Apple has quietly updated its Safari 4.0 public beta with a new version supporting — as well as requiring — Mac OS X 10.5.7.
The new beta also addresses 3 security issues with the Safari 4.0 beta 1, including vulnerabilities with the browser's URL input validation, a heap buffer overflow problem with libxml, and a memory corruption issue in WebKit's handling
of SVGList objects.
Separately, Apple on Tuesday also released Safari 3.2.3, which addresses security issues with the web browser. The update is available as a 40MB download for Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard, a 26.29MB download for Mac OS X 10.4.x Tiger, and a 19.69 download for Windows XP and Vista.
Tiger Security Updates
For users running Mac OS X 10.4.X Tiger, Apple also released Security Update 2009-002. It's available as a 165MB download for Intel Macs, a 75MB download for PowerPC Macs, and a 203MB download for all Mac OS X Tiger servers.