Google plans to bypass Apple's App Store on the Web
Revealed by David Pogue in The New York Times, Google's alleged Voice Web application is said to be the "next chapter" in the ongoing dispute between it and Apple.
"Already, Google says it is readying a replacement for the Google Voice app that will offer exactly the same features as the rejected app — except that it will take the form of a specialized, iPhone-shaped Web page," Pogue writes. "For all intents and purposes, it will behave exactly the same as the app would have; you can even install it as an icon on your Home screen."
He goes on to question: "What is Apple going to do now? Start blocking access to individual Web sites?"
On Friday, Google declined to comment on Pogue's column. However, the news reaffirms the browser abilities alluded to in comments from a Google spokesperson last week.
"We work hard to bring Google applications to a number of mobile platforms, including the iPhone," the spokesperson told AppleInsider. "Apple did not approve the Google Voice application we submitted six weeks ago to the Apple App Store. We will continue to work to bring our services to iPhone users, for example by taking advantage of advances in mobile browsers."
Weeks ago, Apple rejected the Google Voice application, and pulled two programs that used the Voice service from the App Store. AT&T has denied responsibility in the incident, but it, Google and Apple are under investigation from the Federal Communications Commission over the matter.