AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mike talk about whether or not sales are soft for the HomePod, and what Apple could do about it, as well as Zuckerberg's appearance in DC.
- macOS ending 32-bit app support, and what it means for you
- watchOS ending support for watchOS 1.0 apps, and what you should do about it
- the reports that HomePod orders with suppliers are being cut due to low demand - Victor and Mike take this story apart and break it down into components, laying out what is and isn't speculation.
- Separately, Apple hires Jon McCormack formerly of Amazon and Google. Mike wants him to run QA, but thinks he's not long for Apple. Victor thinks he's got bigger visions. (It didn't make this episode, but as far as Victor's aware, Apple Execs don't believe they have a quality problem, and don't understand what the noisy community of pros and bloggers are on about. This stems from the way that Apple handles bug reports Radar, asking pros to submit sample code to prove a bug without having tried to reproduce it on their end.)
- Mr. Zuckerberg goes to Washington, and one of the things he's very sensitive to, or his handlers are, is Tim Cook's comments to Kara Swisher. It didn't come up, but his notes have a section dedicated to responding to Cook.
- Apple CarPlay is becoming a must-have in new cars, and we've got some features we wish Apple would adopt.
- Tip: Privacy issues with in-home HomeKit cameras, and some workarounds
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- New macOS alert notifies users Apple will soon end 32-bit app support
- Latest watchOS beta warns users when opening watchOS 1 apps, says support will end soon
- Apple cuts HomePod orders on weak demand, report says
- Apple poaches ex-Amazon, HP executive for growing software team
- Mark Zuckerberg was ready to pounce on Apple's data practices at Senate hearing
- Full transcript: Apple CEO Tim Cook with Recode's Kara Swisher and MSNBC's Chris Hayes
- Wish list: 9 new CarPlay features for iOS 12
- HomeKit Insider: How to fix HomeKit camera's biggest flaw and gain some privacy
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].