Apple has released Swift Playgrounds 4, the newest version of its development app with support for creating apps directly on an iPad.
The new version of Swift Playgrounds has been in development for some time. At WWDC 2021, Apple previewed the fourth version of the app, which will allow users to learn how to build apps and submit them to the App Store directly on an iPad.
In addition to the iPad development support, Swift Playgrounds 4 also features App Store connect integration and a new App Preview mode that will allow users to see live updates as they make changes to an app.
Other minor updates include a full-screen preview mode, project-wide searcing, and the ability to move projects between Swift Playgrounds and Xcode with App Projects.
The full release notes for the feature are available below.
Swift Playgrounds 4.0 features:
- Build iPhone and iPad apps with SwiftUI right on your iPad (requires iPadOS 15.2 or later)
- App Store Connect integration lets you upload your finished app to the App Store
- App Preview shows live updates as you make changes to your app
- Full-screen preview lets you see your app edge-to-edge
- Smart, inline code suggestions help you write code quickly and accurately
- App Projects make it easy to move projects to Xcode and back
- Project-wide search finds results across multiple files
- Snippets Library provides hundreds of SwiftUI controls, symbols, and colors
- Swift Package support lets you include publicly-available code to enhance your apps