Monday, August 17, 2009, 04:55 pm PT (07:55 pm ET)
Apple annual music event to be held Sept. 9 - reportA new report states that Apple, as expected, will hold its annual iPod and media centric event for the week of Labor Day, scheduling the keynote for Wednesday, Sept. 9.
Rumors began to swirl last week that Apple would host an event that week, but the date should come as no surprise: For years, the iPod maker has scheduled its media keynote in the first half of September.
Digital Daily has confirmed the date as well as a San Francisco location with sources, and also passes word that the long-rumored tablet device will not be unveiled. AppleInsider sources have also long maintained that stance, and insist that the product will launch in early 2010.
Previous events were held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, though Apple has not yet specified a location. Digital Daily sources also could not say who would be presiding over the event, though company faithful hope to see co-founder Steve Jobs return to the stage.
Expected to be a part of the event are "Cocktail," Apple's full-length album download bundle with extras, and a new iPod touch and iPod nano, both sporting cameras.
There have also been rumors about a new iTunes, version 9, possibly with support for Blu-ray discs and social media integration. Apple has also reportedly been working on a video on demand service for its media player.
At last year's event, Apple unveiled iTunes 8 with the new Genius feature, debuted the fourth-generation iPod nano, introduced a reworked iPod touch with hardware volume controls and built-in Nike + iPod support, and refreshed the iPod classic with a 120GB model.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Siri integration with third-party apps expected to play key role in Apple's 'iWatch'
- Corning exec lets slip the gorillas of war, calls sapphire expensive, heavy, environmentally unfriendly
- Apple's dynamic user interface would adapt to user's proximity, allowing control from close & far
- GT says plans to supply sapphire glass to Apple are 'progressing well,' company expects profitable 2H of 2014
- Google rumored to debut 'Nexus' smart watch with new operating system in June