Saturday, August 22, 2009, 12:15 pm PT (03:15 pm ET)
Apple Mac mini purchase claimed to ship with Snow Leopard discAn anonymous Mac mini buyer in Japan has claimed, with pictures, to have received with their purchase an install DVD of Snow Leopard, Apple's upcoming operating system release.
The pictures, sent to Engadget Japanese, have served further fuel speculation that Apple will release Snow Leopard this week, ahead of its announced September release. Numerous rumors and temporary Web site listings have pointed to an Aug. 28 launch.
The person claims to have received the Mac mini on Aug. 20. The purported disc is different than the retail disc previously shown, as is usually the case with pack-in install discs that often ship with hardware.
The tipster also sent screenshots of the disc's content when supposedly inserted into the Mac mini, including the software installer.
Rumors have surfaced that the current build of Snow Leopard, 10A432, is the Golden Master, meaning it is the final version before the product is released for duplication on optical media.
Even if Apple doesn't ship Snow Leopard this week, its release is likely imminent as numerous information and leaks continue to grow, signaling the operating system is ready for shipment.
Snow Leopard will cost $29 for the single user license and $49 for the five-license family pack. The new operating system will be available only for Mac computers with Intel processors. Also available are Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard ($499) and two upgrade box sets: OS, iWork and iLife ($169) and the five-license family pack, iWork and iLife ($229).
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple releases OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks with reliability enhancements, includes Safari 7.0.6
- Apple releases new OS X Yosemite betas for developers, public beta participants
- Apple Watch, AirDrop, iBeacon & Continuity coax advanced features from Bluetooth & WiFi
- VMWare releases Fusion 7 with support for OS X Yosemite and Retina optimization
- Apple issues first iCloud for Windows beta with iCloud Drive support